optimizing reports

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 6 15:33:03 EDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:23:53AM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2007 05:28 schrieb Andrew Sackville-West:
> > I'm bent on improving the speed of some of these reports
>
> That's great! I think I've mentioned that before, but I'm also very unhappy
> with the current speed aka slowness of the text reports. I'm especially
> unhappy about that because my initial implementation of those was
> significantly faster, and only the rewriting of those reports by the changes
> mainly in r10078 (David Montenegro, June/July 2004) made them much slower
> (see my gnucash-devel msgs on 2006-06-20 and 2006-03-19).

okay, thanks for this history. I agree (as I think everyone does) that
there are some significant performance issues. As far as the
layout/html stuff goes, I really don't care, but the performance is a
huge factor. I think that the formatting issues could be dealt with at
a later time, especially in light of how long it would take to modify
code.run test reports/look at results with really slow reports ;)

I suppose this raises the larger issue of what is going on long-term
with the reports. Is the amount of work necesary to fix the
performance issues sufficient to warrant looking at the long term goal
with reporting with an eye to just doing that change now? I know
Derek wants to work e-guile into the mix and implement some kind of
templating. Others have suggested binding in a whole 'nother language
for reporting. I don't know the answers and lack the knowledge,
experience and position to answer them.

Should the reporting structure be re-worked altogether? now or later?
Should the current structure be cleaned up in parallel to that effort
to improve performance in the interim? Or should it be left as it is,
just improved?