GnuCash in openinventionnetwork Linux list

Info at OpenInventionNetwork.com Info at OpenInventionNetwork.com
Tue Sep 4 15:16:48 EDT 2007

Thanks for your query.

The list is primarily modelled after current enterprise offerings.  We
update this list periodically to consider additional packages and will
consider your project at that time.  However, I can give no assurance that
we will add GnuCash because, as you can imagine, we receive many requests.

Concerning the older packages:  When OIN was founded, the package list was
created based on the then-current enterprise offerings.  You rightfully
point out a couple of older packages that are not current state-of-the-art
anymore.  But the OIN members still have many customers running those old
packages, so they remain on the list.

linas at austin.ibm.com (Linas Vepstas)
08/08/2007 03:36 PM

info at openinventionnetwork.com
cc
gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
Subject
GnuCash in openinventionnetwork Linux list

Hi,

The recent announcement of Google's participation lead me to review
the list of packages considered to be a part of the "Linux Envirnonment
Component". (http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_linuxdefpop.html)
I noticed the absence of one notable package, GnuCash, and was lead
to wondering why this list was the way it was.  It seems to include
some obscure, rarely-used packages, while also failing to include
some major, widely available packages.

For example: GnuCash is not on this list. GnuCash is a personal
and small business finance manager; it is the foremost such package
used by Linux desktop users. By "foremost" I mean: most widely used
of all such packages, most well known, the oldest (ten years old this
October), and the most sophisticated. GnuCash is under the GPL license,
and is nominally an FSF-affiliated project.

I thought perhaps that desktop applications were excluded from this
list: but that is not the case, as I see other large, complex packages
listed, including:

-- epiphany, a web browser
-- evolution, an email/addressbook/calendering app
-- F-Spot, a photo album manager
-- firefox, a web broswer
-- gaim, an online chat client
-- gnomemeeting, a teleconferencing tool
-- HelixPlayer, an audio player
-- OpenOffice.org, an office suite

I consider the above packages to be "peers" of GnuCash,
both in the profile of the type of user who would use it,
and in the overall size, complexity and invested development
effort. (At one point, a study put GnuCash in the top 1%
of all open souce apps, in terms of developer community
investment, based on a lines-of-code count, as well as
the extensive documentation, and multiple language
translations.)

I would be interested in finding out more how the list at
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_linuxdefpop.html
was generated, and what the criteria for inclusion are.
Also, somewhat strange, unexplained, and notable is the
specification of version numbers included in this list.

Thank you,

Linas Vepstas