r16543 - gnucash/branches/gda-dev/src - Make GDA backend (sqlite) the default if file: or no access method is

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Sep 24 23:46:29 EDT 2007

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:
> Yeah, we should probably fix this..  Or add other "File -> Open"
> methods to let the user choose the specific version.
>

>    I have a modified version of src/gnome-utils/gnc-file.c which allows you to
>    select "xml:"  The gtk_file_chooser returns either the selected uri (with

This inverse quoting style is really hard to follow. :/

> BTW, what is the qsf backend?  It seems to exist independent of the XML backend
>  but also processes XML files.

QSF is the QOF Serialization Format.  It's a datatype-focused,
domain-agnostic way to generically serialize a QOF object graph... going off
of memory, it's something like:

    <object>
      <guid>.....</guid>
      <integer name="id">1</integer>
      <string name="name">Foo</string>
      <boolean name="isTrue">false</boolean>
      <!-- ... -->
    </object>

It's exactly the opposite of what makes XML useful, by focusing on
datatypes, instead of field labels and semantics.

There is some QSF export of business objects, and a disabled menu option to
QSF export the account tree + opening balances.  There is a disabled menu
option to QSF import said data, with some abstract/generic "mapper" that
never seemed to work — IIRC, it would crash randomly, and I think if it does
succeed it might corrupt the objects.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}