progress bar during launching

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 25 11:03:28 EDT 2007

don Paolo Benvenuto <donpaolo at gsi.it> writes:

> The splash screen says it's loading a file, but it has no progress bar.

True...  The splash screen never had a progress bar.  What USED to
happen is that the incomplete application window would appear and IIRC
the progress bar was there.  But then you'd see the window change
sizes and it was quite ugly and annoying and would move around the
screen.  So that window was hidden until the file is loaded and the
load is complete.

But now, as you've noticed, there's no visible indication that the
load is proceeding, or how far along the load is.  You're in a
particularly unique situation because your data file is so huge, so
you're just seeing it even worse than anybody else.

Unfortunately I dont have a good answer for you...  We probably need
to either rethink the progress bar, or figure out the window sizes
earlier so we can display the window earlier.  I'm not sure which is
more appropriate.  However the fact that gnucash is single-threaded
just makes it all more difficult.

So I'm afraid in the short term you'll just have to live with it.
Or maybe it's time that you split your data file into a smaller
bit?  ;)

> Besides that, if I switch to another application with alt-tab, the
> splash screen disappears.

Now THAT is weird!