Posting time bug fix proposal (simplified)

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Fri Aug 15 19:14:24 EDT 2008

Charles Day wrote:

> I was not aware of this issue. My patch doesn't change the backend's file
> writing code, so whatever timestamp is assigned by GnuCash is what gets
> saved. If the time written isn't midnight, the patch will think that the
> transaction is bug-affected when the file is read in again.
>
> Could you explain about the time used in book closing transactions? I had
> hoped to avoid changing the file writing part of the code, but maybe that's
> not possible.

As I explained in detail in the previous message, if you just keep
writing the same, but use just the date when reading (don't call
mktime()), then old programs won't break any more than they are (which
they do only when changing timezones).  If it makes the patch smaller,
the date could be converted to the same date in an arbitrary timezone
for some arbitrary time of day - but you probably want to keep the
timezones in the file the same as much as possible to avoid breaking old
programs.