Next project

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Aug 18 16:05:47 EDT 2008

Am Montag, 18. August 2008 15:59 schrieb Phil Longstaff:
> Now that the dbi backend has been folded back into trunk, i'm ready for
> something new.  Reports and/or the ability to extract/export info to a
> spreadsheet are my biggest itches.  I've seen talk about a complete
> report system rewrite.  I'm not sure I'm ready for that (I do have a
> regular job), but if there is a separable chunk of that, let me know.
> Otherwise, maybe I'll work on ways of extracting info to spreadsheets.

I was excited about the recent (almost-) completion of the python bindings. In
effect, this means it should be possible to write additional gnucash
functionality in a scripting language other than scheme. What is missing for
that is some sort of hook mechanism so that at gnucash startup, python code
can add some hooks into menu items or similar. Once the hooks are in place,
it should be possible to have reports generated from python code... well,
maybe. An idea, just in case you like to practice your python and swig
knowledge :-)

Regards,

Christian