Changing description of reconciled trx fails

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 1 10:14:36 EST 2008

Jerry Quinn <jlquinn at optonline.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I needed to change the description of a reconciled transaction in
> 2.2.6.  Gnucash prevented me from doing so, a behavior I haven't seen
> before.  I marked the trx as unreconciled to see if that would let me
> edit the description, which it did.  However, I can't return the trx to
> the reconciled state (yes, I clicked through the warning).
>
> Is this intentional behavior?

Yes.

> If so, when did it change?

It should have always done this.  If it did not then that was a bug
in previous versions.

> I'm using 2.2.6 since 2.2.7 hasn't migrated into Debian testing yet.

That wont change..

> It seems that for personal finances especially, updating a description
> later is useful.  Sometimes you'll have an entry on a bank statement
> that you need to add to reconcile, but only later do you figure out what
> it was really for.

Maybe.. Maybe not.  Changing the description can very much change the
meaning of a transaction.  For example, imagine if you could change
the description from "Loss due to gambling" to "paying my friend back
for a loan".  That would seriously change the implication of the
transaction.

You should perform all that validation prior to reconciliation.

> I know I can go in and hack the xml file if I have to, but it seems like
> doing this should be warned at best, rather than prevented completely.

It is warned..  It will still go ahead and let you make the change
after you click through the warning.  You can, however, tell gnucash
to never warn you again, and if you click "cancel" then it will remember
to never warn you AND never let you make the changes.  Use the
'reset warnings' option to reset this memory setting.