Request: Enhancement in Use of Account Codes

Raphaël Maville rafmav at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 16 05:08:46 EST 2008

Request: Enhancement in Use of Account Codes.

I would like to know how to have an enhancement in the use of the
gnucash account codes, and to use it to sort the accounts.

I know this already exists in the main accounts window, and in the
reports.

Here is an example, and the screen copies joined to this mail show it
better:
I have accounts with the names and such codes
- Account A : code 1
- Account B: code 2
- Account C: code 3
- SubAccount of C: Account C0 code 30
- etc...

Some people, to have ALWAYS their accounts well sorted on screen, use to
record the code before the name:
- 1_Account A : code 1
- 2_Account B: code 2
- 3_Account C: code 3
- SubAccount of C: 30_Account C0 code 30
- etc...

We can see the accounts names well sorted only in the edit/new account
"popup" only in the second writing : in the first, it is sorted by name;
if the names are long, it is not useful!

On my opinion, the second is bad, andn ugly use of gnucash, which have a
field for these codes.

Of course this would be set and decide by convention between the users
of the same accounting tree...

What I would like, it is to have the Option to use it every where It is
useful, including by example the account's tree in the "New account"
window; then the existing hierarchy of accounts will appear "well
sorted".

Of course, without writing thousands of code lines...

Opinion ?