AUDIT: r16914 - gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-search - #513088: Do not show search dialog and hide it immediately afterwards.

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Feb 3 16:09:37 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:59:11PM -0500, Andreas Köhler wrote:
> Author: andi5
> Date: 2008-02-02 19:59:11 -0500 (Sat, 02 Feb 2008)
> New Revision: 16914
> Trac: http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/16914
>
> Modified:
>    gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-search/dialog-search.c
> Log:
> #513088: Do not show search dialog and hide it immediately afterwards.
>
> Previously, gtk_widget_show_all() and gtk_widget_hide() were called on
> the dialog, so that everything except the dialog widget itself were set
> visible.  That way the user did not see the dialog filling up and
> resizing on initialization.  Buggy window managers do not like
> subsequent map&unmaps though and do not make the search dialog pop up
> correctly.
>
> This change removes both calls and depends on the interesting subwidgets
> being visible.  For search.glade and the widgets inside dialog-search.c
> this is guaranteed now.

I am commenting as I think I was instrumental in getting this change
to happen. There was some discussion on irc about it

http://svn.gnucash.org/logs/2007/12/2007-12-13.html#T15:52:18

there may have been subsequent discussion, I don't know. At some point
warlord said that there was nothing wrong with this behavior in
gnucash and that it was a WM problem. I don't know much about gtk
programming, but I do understand that the technique used is perfectly
valid and that it was a WM bug.

You did this work originally, andi5, to cope with some problem
in windows. Is that no longer an issue? is this a better solution to
whatever that problem was?

My point in commenting is: how many hoops should gnucash jump through
for buggy WM's? I see this problem in my window manager but I'm
running release *0.4* of a WM that just started in 2007. Upon
reflection, I don't think gnucash should really care about that,
especially if it could cause problems elsewhere.

So even though I'm highly affected by this problem, I'm not sure it's
something we should *necessarily* fix, though it's awfully nice of us
to do so.

Having said all that, thanks andi5 for fixing this. I, for one,
welcome my new Find-Dialog-enabled Gnucash overlord!

very much my .02