testing the book zeroing code (maybe for backport?)

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 4 17:28:42 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 05:22:59PM +0100, Manfred Usselmann wrote:
> Tim Wunder <tim at thewunders.org> schrieb am Sat, 2 Feb 2008 08:37:42

> > Unless it's changed from the last time I tried it at the end of
> > December, I'd recommend against backport. Adding features that are
> > "probably complete enough" isn't a good idea, IMO.
>
> What exactly needs to be changed from your perspective to make it good
> enough? As far as I remember the discussion in December, there was
> no serious issue open? Or did I miss something?
>
> This function would be very useful for me to close 2007. Currently I
> didn't do it manually because I was hoping the function would be
> available in the near future. So I would love to see it in 2.2.4.

I agree with both of you.

Tim is right in that a stable branch shouldn't see new features sort
of by definition. It sounds like it hasn't been tested much making it
a really unlikely candidate for backport. I know I haven't tested it.

But on the flip-side, it's gotta one of the most requested features
and one could consider it a serious bug that there isn't book closing
and adding it at any time is a good thing. And what it appears to
implement (from my very light skimming of the code) is pretty simple
both conceptually and implementationally (did I make that up?). Some
things are just simple enough that there *can't* be a lot of bugs in
it (file under "famous last words").

Now that I've muddied the discussion, I withhold my vote pending some
more firm idea of the proposed release date for 2.4.