testing the book zeroing code (maybe for backport?)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Feb 8 08:36:15 EST 2008

>On Feb 6, 2008, at 9:16 PM, David Reiser wrote:
>

>>Using Tim's approach, I have:
>>642 accounts
>>6423 transactions
>>and it took 4 minutes, 6 seconds to close the books.
>>

>1minute 46 seconds for a trial balance.
>Dave
>--
>David Reiser
>dbreiser at earthlink.net

OK --- we seem to be seeing that test results are in the "same
ballpark". That to me would imply that the way "close the books" is done
now isn't an urgent candidate for tuning. Probably it would be possible
to cut its run time in half, but that wouldn't change the situation "if
your books contain many accounts/transactions will take a long time" AND
this is something one runs very rarely*.

BUT ---- I would suggest (both)
a) A progress bar, spinner, etc. -- something to let the user know task
is active
b) A text message along the lines of "May take substantial time
according to the number of accounts/transactions. Comparable to the time
required to produce a Trial Balance"

Michael