bizarre GnomeDruid problem

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Fri Feb 15 18:35:04 EST 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 14.02.2008, 15:13 -0800 schrieb Xolotl Loki:
> I recently got gnucash-2.2.1 working on a Slackware system for the first
> time (I'd been running a DragonFlyBSD VM just for gnucash).  After a
> month of running with zero problems, the GnomeDruids in gnucash all
> stopped working.
>
> After starting gnucash, regardless of what druid I open
> (File>Import>QIF, Tools>Online Banking Setup, File->New File) I get a
> blank window with no buttons, just the text
>
>    [a GnomeDruid]
>
> centered in the window.  The titlebar has the correct title.
>
> The second time I open a druid (either the same as before or a different
> one) I get a window with the standard druid Cancel, Back, and Forward
> buttons, but no text or other controls.  None of the buttons have any
> noticeable effect when clicked.
>
> I tried upgrading to gnucash-2.2.3, but the problem persists.  My
> installed deps are:
>
> xoloki at xolotl:~$ pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0 glib-2.0 libgnome-2.0
> libgnomeui-2.0  gconf-2.0
> 2.10.13
> 2.12.12
> 2.19.1
> 2.18.1
> 2.20.1
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  I didn't upgrade
> anything in the dependency chain, but I have installed a lot of
> unrelated software (mono + everything is most recent I can recall).
>
> gconfd is running:
>
> xoloki at xolotl:~$ ps auwwwx | grep gconf
> xoloki   20044  0.0  0.2   3952  2244 pts/0    S    Feb11   0:00
> /usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2 4
>
> I'm stumped.

What if you started `gnucash --logto=stderr' from the terminal, does it
print out anything useful?  Can you open
$prefix/share/gnucash/glade/account.glade with glade-2 and show the
hierarchy druid?  Is there any reason why you use libgnome-2.18.1 and
libgnomeui-2.20, i.e. does updating the primer help?

-- andi5