Feature request from German list: Disable editing of transactions

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan.N.Veelo at ntnu.no
Sun Feb 17 14:12:18 EST 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Perhaps this should get tied into the book closing clode?  When you
> close the books on a period, all the transactions in that period become
> uneditable?   We DO have the ability to mark a transaction specifically
> as read-only.  It wouldn't be too hard to also mark the txns as read-only
> as we process them for the book closing.
>
> -derek

You are right, closed books  and uneditable transactions seem to be tied
closely together. I wonder whether that is enough though, in terms of
requirements set by law in some countries. I think in Norway one must
not be able to _make_ any transactions prior to the book closing date
either.

On the other hand: I close my books manually every other month, in order
to get the numbers for the VAT form. But occasionally I find an error in
the previous period and then I correct that and the closing transaction,
and send in a revision of the form if necessary. I am not sure how I am
supposed to properly correct errors in previous periods if transactions
are prohibited.

I think it would be wise to collect a precise definition of the formal
requirements before making any design decisions. How about collecting
translations of relevant sections of the actual laws in the wiki, to
find the common denominator? This bit should be provided by users
requesting the feature. I can do that for the Norwegian case.

Bastiaan.