Problems building GNUCash 2.2.3

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 22 11:57:00 EST 2008

Hi,

John M Collins <jmc at xisl.com> writes:

> Please CC replies to jmc AT xisl DOT com as I'm not subscribed.
>
> On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 18:13 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     > I am trying to build GNUCash 2.2.3 on my Opteron machine which is
>     > running Mandriva 2007.0
>     >
>     > I hit some problems with it crashing on startup and searching your
>     > archives I see you advised someone else to get newer versions slib and
>     > guile, both of which I've done apparently without problems
>     >
>     > The version of guile is 1.8.4
>
>     I'd recommend you downgrade guile to an earlier version, perhaps
>     1.8.1 or even 1.6.
>
> I've tried putting in 1.8.1 but then configure on GNUCash thinks it can't find
> SLIB any more????
> I tried forcibly reinstalling SLIB after installing Guile 1.8.1 but it still
> thinks it's not there.

Yeah, you probably need to do something special to get slib and guile
to talk to each other.  It may be as simple as a symlink.  It may be
more complicated than that.

> I'm a bit nervous about using 1.6 as the version Mandriva supplied was 1.6.8
> and GNUCash built with that crashes on startup for me at any rate.

I've used 1.6 for a long time without problems.  Right now I'm using
1.8.1-3.fc7.

> Maybe the crash on startup built with that has some other cause I suppose. I'm
> getting progressively disillusioned with Mandriva. I always seem to hit
> problems like this every time I try to build up-to-date versions of stuff.

could be.  I think Mandriva is certainly falling into a sideline.  I
think Fedora, Gentoo, and Ubuntu are pretty much the top contenders
nowadays in terms of freshness and support.

>     >
>     > Thanks for any help.
>     >
>     > John Collins, Welwyn Garden City, UK
>     >
>     > P.S. I also hit a problem building he pixmaps but I commented a bit out
>     > of the Makefile in the pixmaps directory and it seemed OK after that.
>     > The problem isn't there in GNUCash 2.2.2.
>
>     What problem?
>
> This problem. I got round it by commenting out the build of scalable/
> gnucash-icon.svg
>
> Making all in pixmaps
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/downloads/gnucash-2.2.3/src/pixmaps'
> mkdir -p 32x32
> cp ./gnucash-icon-32x32.png 32x32/gnucash-icon.png
> mkdir -p 48x48
> cp ./gnucash-icon-48x48.png 48x48/gnucash-icon.png
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `scalable/gnucash-icon.svg', needed by
> `all-am'.  Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/downloads/gnucash-2.2.3/src/pixmaps'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/downloads/gnucash-2.2.3/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/downloads/gnucash-2.2.3'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

HUH!  I thought we fixed this problem prior to release?   Hmm,
maybe not.