QIF doc pages

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:08:49 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Charles Day" <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Ian Lewis <ianmlewis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Charles,
> >>
> >> Oh shoot. I was under the impression that they were shown by default. I
> >> definitely agree with this. There is no point if they are not shown by
> >> default. On a side note, perhaps we should have a check box in the
> druid
> >> that allows users to turn them off from the druid itself (like on the
> apply
> >> page)? The check box is in the preferences and I might not have known
> about
> >> it if I hadn't done development on the QIF druid.
> >>

> > I think giving the user a chance to change the doc page setting at the
> end
> > is a good idea. I'd also like to see a "Show a list of accounts"
> checkbox
> > option at the end. If checked, a new account tab would open in the main
> > window once the druid closes. What do you think?
>
> It should end with an account tab either way.  The user shouldn't
> have to be asked; gnucash should just open one if there isn't one
> already.
>
> > As a first-time user, if the first thing you do is a QIF import, rather
> than
> > creating all your accounts, then when the import finishes you are left
> with
> > an main window titled "no file", with no accounts in sight. It is a bad
> > experience, and besides, finding the menu option to display a list of
>
> Yes, and IMHO this is a bug.
>
> > accounts is a bit counterintuitive (I struggled with it, and I see users
> ask
> > about this on the mailing list). Why is it called a "New Accounts Page"
> - is
> > that how I create new accounts? Is it a list showing only new accounts?
> Why
> > is it called a "Page" rather than a "Tab" or "List"? Why is it on the
> "File"
> > menu? (I can kind of understand this last one, but its not the first
> place
> > I'd look.)
> >
> > For my first time, an option to show the account list after the import
> > completes would have been really convenient.
>
> No option -- just show it if it doesn't already exist.

OK, that's sounds like what Ian is also saying, and that sounds good to me
too. So under which of the following conditions would a new account tab be
automatically created and displayed after the QIF import finishes?
  (a) the QIF import is launched though the "new user" dialog
  (b) no accounts exist prior to import (and no Accounts tab exists either)
  (c) any others?

-Charles