missing documentation

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Fri Jan 4 23:23:21 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 23:13 -0500, Tim Wunder wrote:
> I used to save my credit card receipts and enter them manually. Now I import
> them. Much easier to download transactions than to key them in every week (or
> so). As a result, I stay more current and gnucash's balance matches the
> credit card balance better.

I track all my expenses, including cash, so I've already taken that time
hit.  The cost of the smaller number of bank transactions is no hassle
at that point.

> The transaction import marks the transactions as cleared. Then I'll use the
> reconciliation process to make sure transactions weren't missed in the
> downloads, which has happened once or twice over the span of several months.

But a big part of the reason behind reconciliation is to catch errors or
fraud.

If someone steals your card and charges gas, you'll never notice it--or
only because you rely on your memory and not the accounting system.

Thomas