request for comments on inventory experiment

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:53:26 EST 2008

Basic comments about inventory follow - there is much more to learn.
You won't want to implement the entire function at once.  But it
doesn't hurt to know where you are going to avoid re-programming.
If I misunderstood your comments or perhaps missed other posts,
pleas accept my apology.

I think you are confusing inventory with BOM or Multilevel (structured) BOM.
A part stands on its own in inventory - not associated with the next step in
the process because it can be used to make many other parts.  e.g. a 12'
piece of bar stock can be cut and manufactured into many different parts
with different part numbers and costs.  The cost now includes manufacturing
costs, spoilage, etc.  Even a simple screw or resistor can be used in many
other parts which make the sub-assemblies and and eventually the assembly.
Many of the parts may also have individual sales potential as spare or
replacements.  There are even "goesinto" reports that will tell you every
place a part is used.

It is very important that each part stands on its own in an inventory so
you can set reorder levels.  e.g. You may wish to keep 100 pieces in
inventory for customer replacements.  So if you want to put a build to
the factory that requires 200 pieces and you have 250 in inventory, you
can't release the build because you are out of "build stock".

The comments made about how to handle inventory are incorrect for
basic inventory - but PERFECT for a structured BOM.

If you need samples let me know - and give me some time.  I will need
to alter them to protect the companies in question.

-rich