gnucash hangs on older account file

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat Jan 5 22:57:08 EST 2008

Terry <fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com> writes:
> Would it be possible to obtain from some nice folks an older version of
> gnucash, compiled as a standalone executable so that all the older
> libraries are not needed?

It's non-trivial to build "static" executables, especially against old libraries.

> Say version 2.0.0

2.0.0 had some serious (read: data-losing) bugs; you do not want to use it.

> It seems that a version that old would have a better chance of reading
> the 1.8.x account file properly - fewer changes.

This is supposition.

> I could then write a new accounts file with that version and then maybe
> the current Kubuntu version could read that file.

Please run gnucash from a terminal as follows:

   $ gnucash --debug

... reproduce the problem, and post the resulting /tmp/gnucash.trace file,
along with any output to the terminal.  You mentioned in an earlier thread
that you "posted" the output, but I'm not sure if/where you were referring
to.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}