request for comments on inventory experiment

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 6 11:57:01 EST 2008

Hi,

"Lianto Ruyang" <lianto.ruyang at gmail.com> writes:

> I had in my mind the idea to implement inventory using the Commodities, but then
> i found out that the commodity is very attached to the idea of an
> Account. My understanding from looking through the source-code, now
> the commodity actually functions as a currency, deciding how much
> value an Account is. All the splits and lots inside an Account use the
> Account's commodity as the basic conversion unit.

I think you have it backwards.. Accounts are tied to Commodities,
but not the other way around.  There is no requirement that a Commodity
have any Accounts that use it.  I.e., you can have Commodities
without Accounts.  (The inverse is not true -- you cannot have an
Account without a Commodity).

> I think an inventory system should have items which are not so
> attached to Accounts.

That can still be a Commodity.

> Those items should be recorded in the Accounting system, but they are
> stand-alone entities.

Yep.

> I actually feel the items of inventory are more like Accounts than
> Commodities. But while Accounts is used to record values and amounts
> of imaginary items, the "goods" of inventory is used to record values
> and amounts of real items.

Well, I think it's both.  If you consider that a Commodity is an
Inventory Item, an Account (in that Commodity) maintains a count
of those items, and also the value of those items.  The Lots just
help you map purchases and sales to (eventually) properly account
for capital gains/losses.