QIF importer treatment of zero-sum split transactions

William D. Hamblen William.D.Hamblen at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Jan 8 08:31:18 EST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Ian Lewis wrote:

>> "Charles Day" <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Would it make sense to provide a boolean checkbox somewhere in the
>> druid if we find one of these transactions to ask the user how to
>> treat them?
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure the user would know unless you start asking
> stuff like, "Was this QIF created with Money Dance or <insert bad QIF making
> Quicken version here>?"

Maybe recording the fact that this issue (and others like it) exist
would be worthy of an entry in the wiki?  I imagine one of the more
common uses of the QIF importer is people coming from other applications
and while that will almost never work perfectly because of the nature of
QIFs, knowing where to look for problem transactions is still very
useful.  I've now got a list of problems with my QIF file that have to
be fixed by hand but I've also repaired a number of transactions in
Quicken so they will import correctly.

  - Bill