license status of libofx dtd's

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Tue Jan 8 13:44:22 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 13:31 -0500, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Two of the DTD files in libofx are of uncertain license status.
>
> ofx160.dtd has the following copyright notice:
>
>  Open Financial Exchange DTD
>  Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 CheckFree Corp., Intuit Inc., Microsoft
> Corp.
>  All rights reserved
>
> and ofx201.dtd has this:
>
> *   Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 CheckFree Corp., Intuit Inc.,
> Microsoft Corp*
> *   All rights reserved
>

> Does anyone on this list know by what right libofx is distributing these
> files?

Hi Thomas, I can help you out.  The OFX specifications all contain the
following grant of permission:

Open Financial Exchange Specification c 2006 by its publishers:
CheckFree Corp., Intuit Inc., and Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

A royalty-free, worldwide, and perpetual license is hereby granted to
any party to use the Open Financial Exchange Specification to make, use,
and sell products and services that conform to this Specification.

THIS OPEN FINANCIAL EXCHANGE SPECIFICATION IS MADE AVAILABLE "AS IS"
WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY
APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT, INTUIT AND CHECKFREE ("PUBLISHERS") FURTHER
DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT, ALL OF WHICH ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. THE ENTIRE RISK
ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SPECIFICATION REMAINS WITH RECIPIENT. TO
THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
PUBLISHERS OF THIS SPECIFICATION BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL,
INCIDENTAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR OTHER DAMAGES
WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS
PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR OTHER
PECUNIARY LOSS) ARISING OUT OF ANY USE TO WHICH THIS SPECIFICATION IS
PUT, EVEN IF THE PUBLISHERS HEREOF HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF SUCH DAMAGES.