Building GnuCash 2.2.2 on Mac OS X without Fink or MacPorts

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at OpenOSX.com
Wed Jan 9 10:31:19 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 7:54 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

>> 2) Make GnuCash work from any directory. The OSX installation model
>> is that there is no installer, you just drag the app directory
>> somewhere
>> and double click to launch it. Jeshua Lacock suggested the /tmp
>> trick in his email, BinReloc is something else I need to investigate.
>
> I'd look at BinReloc first.  As I suggested earlier I'd recommend
> NOT using /tmp (but you could use /opt).

Hi,

We have thousands of users and no one has ever reported a problem
using /tmp with various binaries.

I choose /tmp because it is writable without root privileges and is
invisible to the casual user. You could create a directory in /
Library without root privileges if you prefer putting it there instead.

/opt does not exist on Mac OS X without creating a directory at the
root level of the hard disk which might confuse/upset the user.

I tried using BinReloc and it did not work for me (don't recall any
specifics - it was a while ago). It also does not take care of the
GNOME stack...

Cheers,

Jeshua Lacock, Owner
<http://OpenOSX.com>