Installing SLIB

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 13 22:01:53 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:26:53PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Terry <fastsnip-family1 at yaoo.com>:
>
>> dpkg -l guile\*

snip mixed guile environment

> The problem here is that you have guile-1.6 but guile-dev-1.8..  You
> have a hodge-podge of 1.6 and 1.8, and that is causing you problems.
>
>> earched synaptic for slib and guile. slib is listed only for 1.6 not
>> 1.8. So it would seem that slib for 1.6 only is available and installed,
>> but not 1.8
>>
>> Could that be the problem?? Maybe configure is looking for the latest
>> version only, 1.8, and since slib isn't available for 1.8, configure is
>> unable to find slib ????? Does that make sense?? Version 1.8 available
>> without slib support??
>
> If version 1.8 doesn't have slib support then remove all your 1.8
> guile packages, remove guile and slib, then reinstall guile-1.6
> and slib together, and then rebuild gnucash.

I don't know much about ubuntu, but depending on when they pulled from
debian, it's possible guile 1.6 is not available as a dev package. At
one point in debian sid, I had to pull packages from testing to get a
complete gnucash build environment.

So the point is, you may have to jump through some hoops to get it all
together.