Installing SLIB

R. Bibrach RBibrach at t-online.de
Mon Jan 14 05:42:12 EST 2008

recently I updated to OpenSuse 10.3 and my GnuCash crashed caused by an slib
problem.

As on the guile news page they announced that any slib problems where solved I
compiled and installed guile 1.8.3 together with the development snapshot of
slib 3a5!! No further crashes until today.

In the guile.init file the line  "/usr/lib/slib/" should be deleted.

slib should be installed according to the simplified instructions in the guile
readme file :

Installing SLIB ===========================================================

In order to use SLIB from Guile you basically only need to put the
`slib' directory _in_ one of the directories on Guile's load path.

The standard installation is:

  1. Obtain slib from http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SLIB.html

  2. Put it in Guile's data directory, that is the directory printed when
     you type

       guile-config info pkgdatadir

     at the shell prompt.  This is normally `/usr/local/share/guile', so the
     directory will normally have full path `/usr/local/share/guile/slib'.

  3. Start guile as a user with write access to the data directory and type

       (use-modules (ice-9 slib))

     at the Guile prompt.  This will generate the slibcat catalog next to
     the slib directory.

SLIB's `require' is provided by the Guile module (ice-9 slib).

Example:

  (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
  (require 'primes)
  (prime? 7)