Expense and Income Over Time Report problem

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 17 11:30:57 EST 2008

Another report-guid problem, I'm guessing, that I may have already fixed...

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:13:20AM +0100, Davide Imbeni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Gnucash 2.2.99 (svn r16866M) on opensuse 10.3, x86_64
> I found a recent problem with some reports, not present in svn versions
> until beginning of January (can't track back exactly when the problem
> started to appear).
>
> I have a number of reports (e.g. expense over time) that should cover the
> period from "start of previous year" to "end of current year". Those are
> broken (I get an error message in the report tab, something like "there was
> an error computing the report", what I see is the Italian translation). The
> surprising thing to me is that if I change the start date in the report
> options to "start of current year", everything works fine again!

I think that report produces different results based on how dense the
data is. By running the report over a longer time period it forces it
to try and link to sub-reports.  Those links were broken until r16869.

can you try updating and rebuilding?

also just for the sake of covering all bases, any terminal output when
this happens?

> This happens often, but not always. I have other Expense Over Time reports
> (with fewer filtered acounts) that still work fine. Sounds to me like some
> kind of memory problem, but it only happens to Expense and Income Over
> Time...

the lower account count allows the report to run without building
those links. You could confirm this by lowering the "Max bars" option
in the Display tab. That should trigger the crash.

Note please that I can't reproduce this problem on my system because
no matter what I can't get mine to produce the links. I'm running on
debian sid and both the packaged version and svn fail to produce
links. So I'm shooting blind on this at the moment.