GDA referential integrity

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Fri Jan 18 05:24:53 EST 2008

Mark Johnson wrote:

> This would certainly cause very slow performance.  Here are some sample
> table sizes to give you an idea of how much data I have in gnucash.  I
> don't think it is especially large.  I have seen some users post who
> have quite a few more years of data in gnucash than I.

I suspect this is more a UI problem than a backend problem: the backend
is slow, and isn't going to (practically) get any faster, meaning the
user must the given some kind of cue that this a) might take a long
time, and b) will only take a long time, the first time.

Perhaps some kind "export wizard" idea might work, in other words, if
you loaded your data using backend X, under normal circumstances,
gnucash will save to backend X.

If you loaded your data with backend X, but wanted to save it as backend
Y, you would need to select a separate save option (called "export"?),
which would have a progress bar, and would otherwise signal to the user
that this is once off and may take a while, and most importantly,
gnucash hasn't hung.

This will also simplify potential confusion when the user is given lots
of options when they click on save.

Running further with the idea, "save" might mean "commit any unsaved
changes". In the XML world, this means the XML file will be saved in
full. In the database world, a long running transaction might be
committed. Obviously in the database world, if long running transactions
are a bad idea or aren't supported, save could just be greyed out.

Regards,
Graham