Guile bug could affect Windows users

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jan 23 09:15:20 EST 2008

>Additionally, when building the setup.exe on Windows we compile guile from
>source anyway, so applying a patch that has been sent to bug-guile but is
>not contained in any release yet is perfectly fine, at least IMHO.
>
>-- andi5

Again I am probably making some wrong assumptions. Compiling WHAT? The
interpreter certainly, "eval" itself, perhaps a few of the most
basic/most frequently used function definitions. But with most
"extendable" languages like LISP and its dialects the bulk of the
definitions available at the start are usually done in the language
itself. OR, in "compile and go" implementations that makes little
difference (any that are added are compiled before execution/evaluation
as opposed to a strict "interpreter" implementation where the expression
would be reinterpreted every time used.)

Isn't that true of Guile? Some reason to believe that these particular
erroneous definitions were part of the compile? Even if they were, what
difference would that make except perhaps speed when being evaluated?
They still could be overridden by redefinition, yes?

(I hope not confusing people with bringing up matters of how LISP like
languages are implemented..)