Fink/GnuCash Reinstall on MacIntel Leopard

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 21:59:59 EST 2008

I recently bit the bullet and upgraded my Macbook Pro (Intel) from 10.4.11
Tiger to 10.5.1 Leopard, and I would like to share my success at getting
Fink/GnuCash back up and running. Please note that I share this mostly to say
"It worked the way it was supposed to"--and NOT to say this is how it will or
should work for anyone else.

The first thing I did was consider how best to make the transition, and I
decided, from reading online, that the best approach was to start anew with
Fink under Leopard. My reasoning was: 1) Mostly I have used GnuCash, and
whatever else I have put on my machine using fink was not important enough to
try and carry forward. and 2) I do not want leftovers from Tiger messing me up.
If I need a package that I forgot about, I will try to reinstall under Leopard.

So, after making a backup, I deleted the entire /sw directory.

I installed XCode off the Leopard DVD.

I downloaded and installed XQuartz X11 2.1.3 from
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/Releases

I downloaded and installed fink 0.27.8 following the instructions at
http://www.finkproject.org/doc/bundled/install-fast.php. The boostrap script
now asks whether to include unstable. I chose yes.

I ran "fink selfupdate" and then "fink install gnucash2". It took the better
part of a day to download and install the *188* dependencies that gnucash2.2.3
uses, but once the process ran its course, gnucash fired right up.

Although I have had troubles with the documentation, that pales beside the
happy moment when GnuCash started and loaded in my datafile without complaint.

I thought it would be nice to share this success with the community.

David