C commenting style?

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Wed Jan 30 07:10:06 EST 2008

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2008, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Quoting Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com>:
[...]
> > --- Style 6 ---
> > // comment line 1
> > // comment line 2
> >
> > My personal preference has always been style 6,
>
> Although my personal preference would be style 6, too, some older
> compilers would still barf on those C++ / C99 comments. However, I'm
> also not sure whether it is of any value to be considerate of non-C99
> compilers (i.e. C89) as I think we have plenty of C99 constructs
> already in the code.
>
> Definitely avoided should be style 3, and maybe to a lesser extent style 1.
[...]

I would definately avoid style 6 since some c compilers spit out warnings when
these comments are used (e.g. on some distributions I get these warnings with
gcc, too. It accepts those comments but still warns about those C++ style
comments).

Regards
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Martin Preuss - http://www.aquamaniac.de/
AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/