SQL backend and dirty books

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Fri Jul 11 22:31:49 EDT 2008

Hi Derek,

I know you're not a fan of top posting, but that's how Yahoo mail does it.

I assume that the only meaning to "dirty" is "in the engine but not yet saved to permanent storage".

Part of my frustration is tripping over *magic* stuff that is not adequately documented.  The dirty/clean state of transactions and splits controls a lot of different activity during the transaction commit process, for example.  I'd love to see sequence diagrams for the whole transaction commit process (hmm, maybe I should create them).  Stuff happens in the background because there is a fairly intricate architecture.

On a slight tangent, the UI and engine don't have the concept of a group of objects needing to be modified together.  For example, if I scrub an account, I might create some lots, and modify some splits to refer to them.  In the database, creating a lot and modifying the splits for the lot should be done atomically.  Similarly, when a lot is deleted, clearing the split's lot_guid and deleting the lot should be done atomically, and in that order.  When deleting a transaction, the splits should be deleted first.  This is all in the name of 1) total data correctness, and 2) referential integrity.  Since sql databases have a transaction idea, perhaps there should be some sort of gnc_engine_begin_edit()/gnc_engine_rollback_edit()/gnc_engine_commit_edit() to control a group of changes in multiple objects which need to be kept in sync (suggest alternate routine names if you want).

Phil