time_t

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Mon Jul 14 03:54:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Montag, 14. Juli 2008, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com>:
> > This may be a silly question, but why is GnuCash limited to using dates
> > that are supported by time_t? Could we get rid of time_t?
> >
> > I don't need to enter 18th century transactions; I'm just curious.
>
> time_t is #seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00
>
> So you cannot enter 18th century transactions via time_t.
>
> As a result, I don't really understand your question.
[...]

Well, I don't know if I got it right but I think what he meant was:

Though he currently doesn't need to enter dates which are outside the scope of
time_t he is curious about the reason of the limitation to time_t instead of
using another, wider type.

Maybe gnucash lives long enough to exceed the date range offered by time_t and
then the question might arise again :-)

Regards
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Martin Preuss - http://www.aquamaniac.de/
AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/