DBI backend warnings with Glib 2.16.3

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 14 12:52:19 EDT 2008

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

> With DBI, a connection is created using a specific driver, and then
> certain driver-specific properties are set by name.  It might be
> possible to design a URL format so that this could be done generally for
> any backend.  However, DBI does not provide any abstraction for table
> creation, so the gnucash dbi backend needs code to pick specific column
> types in certain circumstances.  Therefore, you can't just add a new
> driver and have it automatically usable.

We could fix this by implementing a relatively simple abstraction
layer ourselves, couldn't we?  We could provide a translation
list for each supported backend driver.   Yes, it would still mean
that we'd need to extend the list to support new DBI backends,
but it should at least limit the support requirements to a small
location where the DB-specific translations get done.