RFC: Timestamps/timezones proposal

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:04:51 EDT 2008

OK, here's an idea. I'm interested in seeing the reaction. Maybe it's
stupid, maybe not.

1. Store transaction timestamps in UTC.
2. Set a timezone for each account.
3. In account registers, the transaction date is displayed according to that
account's timezone.
4. In account registers, entering/altering a transaction date is always done
in terms of that account's timezone.
5. Add report options allowing the user to pick a reporting time and
timezone
6. Allow users to specify the time of day for transactions. (Perhaps
optional.)

Suppose this was already done... How would it help you out or screw you up?

I have accounts in several timezones, and I can see a few ways that this
would help me already compared to the status quo. For example, as I move
around the globe, altering my computer's timezone wouldn't affect how
transactions are displayed

Cheers,
Charles