RFC: Timestamps/timezones proposal

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jul 18 18:24:03 EDT 2008

>The key is that the register would display date,time, AND TIMEZONE.  The
>timezone lets the user recognize that .......

I am going to ask again.

On July 18th at 14:30 EST the bookkeeper enters a transaction involving
accounts whose "time zones" are all also EST (in other words there will
be NO time zone issue here) with a transaction date of July 15th.

I'll repeat to make that very clear. The date of the transaction is July
15th. As is NORMAL the transaction is not entered in the books "real
time" but entered at some later point in time when the bookkeeper gets
around to it.

OK -- the question is -- what TIME is associated with that transaction
in GnuCash? Why? In other words, since the bookkeeper never entered any
"effecitve time" for the transaction (just a date) then where does that
time come from? What is its meaning? That's why I would consider the
time assigned to be "random" or "meaningless" (say the system assigned a
constant time of day value --- zero bits of information). Yes of course,
I would consider the time of day at which the bookkeeper happened to get
around to it (if that is what gets used) a "random" time. Remember, just
because the bookkeeper posts transaction A (effective July 15th) before
posting transaction B (effective July 15th) doesn't mean "transaction A
took place before transaction B.

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.