[gnome-db] V3 vs V4

Vivien Malerba vmalerba at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:42:07 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> wrote:
> Vivien Malerba wrote:
>> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> wrote:
>>> For the past few weeks, I've ported my code from V3 to V4.  My findings:
>>> 1) the sqlite provider for V4 seems to be in pretty good shape.  I've
>>> found and fixed a number of memory leaks, but on the whole, I can use
>>> it.  I have an operation to create an index which crashes, but I don't
>>> know if the problem is mine or in libgda, and need to chase it down.
>>> 2) the mysql provider is missing a lot.  when I look for try to update
>>> the meta_store, all of the mysql routines report that they are not
>>> implemented.  in addition, when I inquire whether a table exists or not,
>>> it returns that it does not, so when I try to create it, it fails
>>> because it already exists.  In addition, as I reported in a previous
>>> posting, I need a mechanism to return the correct string dbms type based
>>> upon string length.
>> This provider still needs some work...
>>> 3) I haven't tried the postgresql provider yet.
>> This provider is as stable and correct as the Sqlite one.
>>> I need to make a decision soon whether to stick with V4 or revert back
>>> to V3, or possibly switch to a different db backend provider.  What is
>>> the future of GDA-3 vs GDA-4?  What is the expected timing for GDA-4?
>>> Will there by any more GDA-3 releases while V4 is being worked on?  I
>>> understand that this is a volunteer project, but can you say anything
>>> about what I, a volunteer on another project, can expect?
>> I don't expect to make any more release of the V3. The V4 is now
>> almost API stable (I just want to introduce an api for the two phase
>> commits). I'll make some other releases before it is actually stable,
>> though.
>> I envision a stable V4 release of Libgda around the end of the summer
>> (just to be n the safe side). That stable release will have database
>> providers for at least SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL (and maybe Oracle
>> if I have the time).
>> Also I would like to propose libgda (and maybe libgnomedb) as part of
>> the Gnome platform for the next Gnome release (it will be for the
>> 2.26).
>> Of course I'll be glad to help you with any problem you'll encounter
>> with libgda.
>> So you can expect some support from me and a stable library by the end
>> of the summer. If there is a feature you'd need before makin a stable
>> release, please tell me.
> Thanks Vivien.
> I don't know if this is proper list etiquette or not, but I cross posted
> this to the gnucash development list as well.  When I brought up the
> GDA-3 vs GDA-4 issue there, there was some discussion as to how to
> proceed, along with some unhappiness expressed about the state of libgda.
> I've now found another way of handling the issue which led me to log a
> bug against V3 (527923) which you had indicated would not be fixed for
> V3.  I don't need the two-phase commit.
> The feedback I got on the gnucash development list was that GDA-4 was
> the better bet, and it seems as though of the big 3 (sqlite, mysql and
> postgresql), sqlite and postgresql are used ahead of mysql (i.e. I know
> people who want sqlite and postgresql, but a quick scan of my e-mail
> didn't show anyone specifically wanting mysql).  However, I am more
> familiar with mysql than postgresql and therefore would use mysql rather
> than postgresql (but would also possibly go with sqlite).

For the stable V4, MySQL will be at the same feature level than
PostgreSQL and SQLite.

> OK.  GDA-4 it is.  I will do some tests with the postgresql backend
> before I try to commit any gda-backend changes for GDA-4.

Ok, please keep me posted regarding the problems you encounter, I'll
try to help as I can.



More information about the gnucash-devel mailing list