Guile threading

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 12:01:10 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> "Charles Day" <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >     Um, I'm fairly sure we have guile wrappers for progress bar
> >     reporting functions.  Indeed, I'm pretty sure the QIF importer
> already
> >     uses them for reading/parsing QIF files!  Search for
> gnc-progress-dialog
> >     in qif-import/*.scm
> >
> > Those functions are the same ones I mentioned above. They manage popup
> > progress dialogs, whereas I am aiming to have a progress bar integrated
> into
> > the druid page. Know of any functions that basically do the same thing as
> > those, but let me specify existing widgets to use, rather than creating
> new
> > ones?
>
> Hmm..  May I ask why you want to integrate it into the druid page?
> I'm just curious.

For prettiness, mainly. But I was also considering whether to add some extra
text below the bar to show the current subtask (like shown in the HIG). The
ability to cancel is also currently missing from the QIF importer, though
the existing popup could handle that if we just ask it to. I was also
thinking about displaying a log of any errors/warnings as they occur.
Currently the popup error messages are fairly unhelpful, and only one can be
shown at a time, and the line number and offending data aren't shown.

> You could always just write/wrap the functions you need?

Perhaps I could add some new features to the gnc_progress_dialog_xxx code.
Maybe instead of only being able to create a progress dialog with
gnc_progress_dialog_new(), I could add a new function named
gnc_progress_dialog_new_with_widgets() that lets you pass in existing
widgets.

-Charles