GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 5 08:45:00 EDT 2008

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:
>>
>> My appologies for sounding like a broken record, but if you look at
>> MythTV they show how to support both MySQL and PG in an automated
>> fashion.  At least I'm pretty sure they can create and update tables
>> for both DBs.
>
> I'll take a look at MythTV.  The only places I had looked at were from
> links on the libdbi website.
>
>> We should have a plan in place at day 1 for how we'd deal with this.
>> I DO like the MythTV model where we have a DB Schema Version number
>> in a known table/location and then we can use that to detect whether
>> we need updates.
>
> I recently added a version number per table.  At a minimum, we would
> need 1 for core and 1 for business.

I dont think you need a version number per table.  I think it's
safe enough to have a global "DB Schema Version", because you're
not going to be updating one table without updating the whole
schema.

But you're right that we might need a version number for core and
another version number of business.

Perhaps we just need a "settings" table?

>>> 4) switch gda calls to dbi calls
>>> 5) lots more.
>>
>> "think you should be more explicit here in step two"  (okay, step 5).
>> What's "lots more" here?
>>
>>> I think what I want to do is create a dbi backend in the gda-dev2 tree,
>>> copy the gda code over, and just see what would be required to modify
>>> everything.  That would give me a feel for the amount of effort required
>>> to switch.
>>
>> Do you want to do this in the gda-dev or would you like a new branch
>> to work from?   Branches are cheap.
>
> At this point, I'll work in gda-dev.

Okay.  I was just thinking that maybe "dbi-dev" would be a more
appropriate name.  But up to you.