submitting patches (was: Add Additional Column to Register Report (PATCH INCLUDED))

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Jun 29 14:04:03 EDT 2008

Am Freitag, 27. Juni 2008 18:07 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Always attach patches.  It's just common knowledge.

That's what I thought, too - until I submitted my first patch to any of the
git mailing lists. Folks over there are pushing very very hard for inlined
patches instead of attached ones. Their main reason is that they'd like to
reply and quote the relevant patch portions directly.

As always, there are reasons for both ways of doing things. I'd just like to
reply here that indeed each project has different preferences in this
question, and in fact both preferences exist in the free software world.

Christian