New enhancement to balance-sheet report

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 27 13:51:14 EDT 2008

Apparently I should read -devel first...

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 08:53:56AM -0700, Yogesh Agrawal wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:36 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > "Yogesh Agrawal" <agrawaly at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I would like to make an enhancement to balance-sheet report in the
> > > commodities page.
> > > I would like to include Basis Calculation method as we have in the
> > advance
> > > portfolio report,
> > > also I would like to have an option to choose either price source or
> > basis
> > > calculation as
> > > the the calculated value on the balance sheet. I have couple of question
> > for
> > > the same
> >
> > Sounds great!

I second this!

> I read HACKING and README.svn, as you said I don't have to rebuild gnucash,
> could you guide me how do I test the changes that I am making on scheme
> code.

all you have to do is first make a copy of the original report file
and stash it away somewhere. Then edit the existing report file,
restart gnucash to test your changes. simple.

Have you looked at the advanced portfolio report yet? The basis stuff
is calculated very simply and should be easy to add in to the balance
sheet. But (!) the balance sheet is built differently... you might
have to dig into the html report libraries. I am willing to help in
this effort in two ways: 1) help keep you pointed in the right
direction in that code and 2) help factor out the basis calculations
into a separate library for use by any report. The second has been on
my to-do list for a while, though I've got almost zero time to work on
it at the moment.