GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 27 11:22:39 EDT 2008

Quoting Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> I dont see how any of this gives you automation.  Keep in mind,
>> even when GnuCash moves to SQL, it is NOT SUPPORTED to modify the
>> database out from under GnuCash.  The DB is *JUST A DATA STORE*.
>> GnuCash is not a "DB App", the DB is just a backend data store.
>
> That would be a bug. DB's support transactions, I see no reason why
> gnucash wouldn't be expected to use them correctly.

Nope.  Not a bug.  It's a design decision.  It has nothing to do
with DB "transactions"..  Instead it's a question of DB coherency.

Basically, it's not supported for a user to modify GnuCash's data
store out from under the application.  Period.  End of discussion.
You're welcome to throw as many tantrums as you want on this topic,
but that's just the way it is and it's just the way it's going to
be for the forseeable future.  Sorry.

>> I'm not sure what you mean by this..  I suppose you could write
>> a program to read the contents out of the DB and print/email
>> invoices...  But you could already do that now with the XML
>> file.   Or better yet, write the code to add this to GnuCash
>> itself.
>
> Gnucash is GUI application, "GUI app" and "automation" generally don't mix.

The GnuCash API requires no GUI.

>> "online statements"?
>> Customer logs into your website and runs a web-app that reads
>> your gnucash XML file and displays something to them?
>>
>> Wow, that's dangerous!
>
> Seriously, which decade do you live in? :)

A decade with script kiddies, botnets, and identity theft.  How
about you?

> My energy company offers online statements, my internet provider
> provides online statements, even my bank provides online statements.

Yes, and those are all large enterprises running enterprise-level
software.  GnuCash is not enterprise-level software.  Not even close.
GnuCash is a Quicken/Quickbooks replacement.  Originally it was JUST
Quicken.  I added the business features.  Still, it's purpose is ONLY
for Home/Small Business use.  Any application beyond that scope is
gravy, but it's not our target audience.

It sounds like you really want GnuE.  I suggest you look there.  Because
it really sounds like you're trying to get GnuCash to do things that
it's just not designed to do and, frankly, I don't think we SHOULD be
doing.

If GnuE doesn't work for you, try Sql-Ledger.

Good Luck!