GDA: Status

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat May 31 10:46:03 EDT 2008

Quoting Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately it's not that easy.  That check is in there because the
>> underlying code uses the Value + AccountType to determine if this is an
>> "Invoice" or a "Payment".  All the linkage logic is based on the invariant
>> that an Invoice is "positive" and a Payment is "negative"  (obviously
>> the numeric positive/negative is different for A/R and A/P, but let's
>> not confuse the issue).
>
> Can you confirm in more detail exactly which part of the code makes
> this assumption?

gncInvoice.c

in particular the code that implements the invoice and payment processing
and the balancing code to make sure payment are split across invoices
properly.

I also believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that the code that looks
for an invoice from a transaction also makes that assumption.

> In the XML tree, a transaction that belongs to an invoice has slots
> attached with additional information saying a) that the transaction
> is an invoice or a payment (from "trans-txn-type"), and b) which
> invoice this transaction is associated with.

This has nothing to do with the data in the XML file.  I honestly
forget why the txn-type was created, and I dont remember where
it's used.

> Changing the sign manually on an invoice and saving the file shows
> correct figures for that particular customer, both from within
> gnucash, and from within my web statements (which ignore the sign of
> the transactions completely).

Yes, but it'll screw up the lot balancing that's used for when an invoice
is paid and determining which lot to use for posting.

> Is the sign check shortcut being used in other reports?

AFAIK it's not used in the reports at all, at least not directly.