Guile threading

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sat May 31 18:44:53 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Keep in mind that most of the gnucash code is NOT thread safe!

The whole reason I was thinking about threading was to be able to put
progress bars directly in the QIF importer druid pages, rather than using
popup dialogs (gnc_progress_dialog_xxx functions). I thought I could kick
off a long-running Guile thread, then check its status occasionally and show
the user how things are progressing. But threading doesn't seem to be an
option.

So maybe while Guile is running, it could just call a progress reporting
function once in a while that updates the druid's widgets. Are there
existing GnuCash functions that support progress bars and let me specify my
own progress bar widget?

(My guess would be "no", since the splash screen would seem to be a similar
case, and it appears to have needed to supply custom functions for updating
its progress bar.)

Cheers,
Charles