String lengths in the SQL backend

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Fri Nov 14 08:57:40 EST 2008

On November 14, 2008 08:30:11 am Derek Atkins wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I must have missed this, because I don't remember reading the original
> request.  I don't understand what "additional table" is required.
> I'm trying to think about it from the GnuCash use standpoint, not
> the backend storage aspect.  Where in GnuCash is this extra "table"
> supposed to be used?  And how?

Rolf has just replied to this.

> Wait, the ENTIRE contents are read in?  Historically only "necessary
> data" was read in.  That would be the Accounts and Commodities from
> the main CoA.  The transactions were all loaded on demand.

Yes.  I wanted to only read "necessary data".  However, my (admittedly
incomplete) knowledge of the engine led me to the conclusion that parts of th
engine assume that all data is present.  I couldn't get the account tree to
show correct values, for example, unless all splits for an account were
present.  I ended up just loading the whole database into memory.

Phil