Problem building GnuCash 2.2.7 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 17 11:21:33 EST 2008

Hi,

oef88 <oef88 at TheFlynnConsultancy.co.za> writes:

> Hi,
>
> (I am not sure which list this should go to - I am hoping someone on
> either list will assist me!)\
>

> I was running Gnucash 2.2.4, but I decided to upgrade to GnuCash 2.2.7.
> I have Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04).
> I used be be quite technical - but have got rusty! So I need some help!
>
> I downloaded the source file (gnucash-2.2.7.tar.bz2), and unpacked it
> successfully.
>
> The procedure to build this version is to run the configure script, then
> run 'make', and finally 'make install'.
>
> I ran the configure, and it took me a couple of hours to get all the
> packages that I needed, but now I can get a clean, full run of configure.
> (it exits with a 0).

I guess you didn't know about "apt-get build-dep gnucash"?

> Then I do a make - it churns for about 3 minutes, and then I get the
> following messages.  (I have deleted the top 500 lines, that all worked
> successfully).
>
> I have no idea what to do next - please can you help:
[snip]
> -Wl,/usr/local/lib/gnucash
> /usr/local/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined reference to `g_poll'
> /usr/local/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0: undefined reference to `g_set_error_literal'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: *** [gnucash-bin] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/oef/Downloads/gnucash-2.2.7/src/bin'
[snip]

> To me it looks like the linker can't find the 'g_poll' or
> 'g_set_error_literal' routines.
> Nor can I!
>
> Can anyone help?

Try running:

  apt-get build-dep gnucash

Then re-run configure.

Then re-make.

This looks like a missing dependency, but it looks like it's an
indirect dependency, not a direct dependency.

Also, are you sure that there isn't a more recent version of GnuCash
already available in package form?