Reading whole db at startup (was Re: String lengths in the SQL backend)

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Fri Nov 21 11:25:54 EST 2008

On November 20, 2008 11:27:03 pm Daniel Espinosa wrote:
> If you look at libqof's code you'll find that all GC's QOF implementation
> is based in store *all* data object in memory using a GHashTable using a
> string for the object type and GUID for identification, any search for any
> object is a foreach routine.
>
> This implementation is good for XML data store, but for DB is quite poore
> feature, becouse hides all DB's data manipulation and data integrity
> checks.
>
> If GC could allow any other to access the data from the DB in a way of SQL
> queries or DataModels, taking care about Accounts, Transactions, and other
> objects for data consistency and integrity, could allows others to take lot
> advantages.

Hi Daniel,

I *completely* agree with you that I would like to see gnucash become a true
database app.  At this point, however, it isn't, and will take a lot of work
to get there.  It is a change, not only in the back end storage, but also in
how the data  is accessed.  Perhaps, once the db back end is released, work
can happen to make those other changes.

Phil