Plan for PDF

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 08:10:56 EDT 2008

In previous messages I have shown my solution for generating a PDF
version of the Guide.  I have also submitted patches for a quick fix
to the build system to capture the steps I found success with.

I am considering developing changes to 'configure.in' ( have submitted
an enhancement request to have all 'configure.in' files renamed
'configure.ac' in accordance with the modern autotools practice) to do
the following:

  1. test for the presence of a suitable version of Apache's fop (I
have submitted patches to fop developers to fix fop in this regard to
ease testing it).

  2. test for the presence of the proper version of docbook.xls

  3. if 1 and 2 are satisfied, ensure the pdf target is part of the default make

  4. if 1 and 2 are not satisfied:

      a. remove the pdf target from all Makefiles

      b. refer the user to the details of README (or perhaps
README.pdf) for obtaining the necessary tools

I would also move the additions I made to HACKING to a more suitable
file such as INSTALL or README or a new README.pdf.

However, I will not proceed farther if this is not a satisfactory approach.

Regards.

-Tom