Scheduled Transactions

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Oct 15 09:49:08 EDT 2008

"Tom Browder" <tom.browder at gmail.com> writes:
> I would like to see the scheduled transactions (sx) capability
> enhanced (see enhancement bug # 521285) to be more like Quicken.  I
> would like to see a split-pane in the account window showing due and
> buttons to push like 'enter', 'edit', and 'skip'.
>
> I would like to see the same buttons in the sx editor along with a
> choice of seeing sx for each account on separate tabs.
>
> And of course I will work on this myself (with helpful comments from
> developers).
>
> Thoughts?  Feasible?

Sure.  I separated out much of the application logic from the UI in the
last go-round in order to support things like this; see
src/app-utils/gnc-sx-instance-model.{c,h} in particular.

Why is a split-pane in the Account tab better than the existing
since-last-run (SLR) dialog (or maybe moving that dialog into a tab)?
Do you really need to see both things at once (a main motivation for a
split-pane)?  Otherwise, I fear the page wouldn't be big enough to see
either.

What's the benefit of splitting up the upcoming transactions across
separate tabs (by account)?  Instead, maybe, allowing an Account-based
filter on the existing SLR page?

One thing that people regularly ask for is – in the editor for a
particular SX – to see the upcoming instances, so that they may quickly
schedule something forthcoming.  This should be pretty easy to do, by
simply generating the instance model through some configurable date in
the future (30 days?  60 days?  drop down?  as a function of the
frequency of the SX?).  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to
just generate the instance model for a single SX, but that should be
straightforward to add in.

Anyways, I'm happy to help, but my response time might not be very low.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}