Development on Mac Leopard (10.5.5)

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 26 19:12:29 EDT 2008

On Oct 26, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Charles Day wrote:

> What is the current state as far as doing GnuCash development on
> Leopard? I
> now have a spiffy new MacBook Pro at my disposal, so I am trying to
> shift
> away from developing on XP. I read the FAQ but the information sounded
> enough out-of-date that I thought I should ask for a update to
> double-check
> before diving in.
>
> 1. Is it readily possible to do GnuCash development, compilation, and
> testing work from within Leopard, via macports or fink or otherwise?

I always have one or more fink gnucash installs around plus gnucash
trunk. I found the best way to make sure I had all the dependencies
was to install the latest fink gnucash ('fink install gnucash2'), and
then set up an /opt install of trunk (/opt is not in my path) for
testing/development:

guile18-build PERL_PATH=/usr/bin/perl PERL=/usr/bin/perl LIBRARY_PATH=/
sw/lib CPATH=/sw/include ./configure --enable-error-on-warning --
enable-compile-warnings --prefix=/opt/gnucash-svn --enable-debug --
enable-doxygen --enable-ofx  --enable-hbci --with-dbi-dbd-dir=/sw/lib/
dbd

the guile18-build is a fink-installed bit that just sets environment
stuff to find fink's guile. I force the system perl because there were
some issues switching back and forth between fink's and the system's.
But I still use fink to install finance-quote...

There's some grumbling about that the latest gtk+ has broken gtkhtml
and evince in fink (making it hard to install gnucash2). But others
have apparently succeeded.

There's also one report that finance-quote 1.14 was causing a problem
(didn't for me). I'll try to get f-q 1.15 committed tonight.

When I got started, it was easier for me to figure out fink than
macports. Fink will also keep old shared libraries around so as not to
break already compiled stuff. If you're careful about general port
updating, that may not be a problem for you.

> 2. Is it just easier to do the work in Linux or XP running in a
> virtual
> machine, e.g. vmware fusion or parallels? (I would rather not have
> to dual
> boot.)

Maybe Linux in a virtual machine, but I'd be really surprised if XP
was easier than native Mac -- OS X is a unix variant after all.

> Cheers,
> Charles

Dave
--