problem with qif-parse.scm in trunk

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 22 08:44:14 EDT 2008

David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> writes:

>>> Well, here's some Apple regex oddity: The regex parser apparently
>>> doesn't like higher-than-ascii utf-8 unless the file it's working on
>>> starts with a utf-8 BOM (0xefbbbf). I can't even grep qif-parse.scm
>>> for the GBP symbol -- there is no output from the grep command. If I
>>> use bbedit to prepend the three hex bytes to the file, then grep
>>> successfully finds the symbols. But if the .scm file starts with the
>>> BOM, gnucash launch now fails with:
>>
>> Interesting!  Do you have the Gnu Regex library available?  What if
>> you explicitly link against that instead of using the regex in Apple's
>> libc?
>>
>> -derek
>
> my googling suggests that the Gnu Regex library is part of gnu libc.
> If my understanding is correct, then pogma's answer is:
> "porting glibc and forcing your app to use it is nigh on impossible".

I thought there was still a standalone Gnu Regex library that lived
outside of GLibc?   Maybe "rxspencer"?

> How 'bout just converting the .scm files from Latin-1 to UTF-8?

Well, see, that's the problem..  On some systems it needs to be
Latin1, and on others it needs to be UTF8.  So how do we know?

Perhaps we can get the character from C through a weapper and insert
it into the scheme string?