import/export bounty

Ian Smith-Heisters i at idiosyncra.tc
Mon Sep 22 13:48:34 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I was recommended to post here regarding a feature I'd like to support
the development of.

There's two possible solutions:

= Import invoice from CSV (fallback solution):

* user generates a CSV with columns matching that of the new invoice view
* open GnuCash, create a new invoice or open an existing one
* click "import"
* select CSV file
* the invoice is populated with data from the CSV

= Import/Export to/from any screen (preferred solution):

* user generates a CSV with columns matching those of the desired target view
* open GnuCash, navigate to the desired target view (eg. New Invoice)
* click "import", select CSV file, the target view is populated with
data from the CSV
* click "export view as CSV"
* enter a filename
* a CSV file is created with data from the target view

My main purpose is to import invoices from CSV. However, it'd be
mighty useful to do this in some generic way, both in and out.

I'm open to discussion on both features. I'm also open to suggestion
on the quantity of the bounty. I'd prefer to pay per-hour with a fixed
ceiling. If necessary, however, I can give fixed rate bounties on both
approaches--I imagine the preferred approach would be more
time-consuming and of more value to the community as a whole, so the
bounty on it would be significantly higher than the other.

I'm also uncertain how the project likes to handle bounties. I guess
ideally I'd donate to the project as a whole and the project manager
could get whomever is most qualified to implement the feature. OTOH, I
can just pay a developer directly.

Regards,
Ian